Cravings, bloating and a bottomless pit of HUNGER!!!– BOOOOO to you period…BOO! to YOU!
So here’s the deal I wanna chat about why you find yourself A LOT more hungry and craving things that are totally out of your eat to THRIVE eating plan. It’s SIMPLE…
Your body uses more calories right before and in some cases during your period. I say it’s typically 7 days before day 1 that you start feeling hungry [literally] 5 min after you JUST ate. You can actually burn up to 15% more calories during this week without making a single change to your regular routine!
Kinda like an extra little 15min workout every day without the need of actually getting a workout.
But don’t get crazy!
Your body only burns about 100 to 300 per day, and only for 2-3 days [avg.] NOT the entire week! So keep in mind a candy bar is close to 300cals, pint of ice cream is easily 500 – 1,000 cals, a cookie 180-400 cals. NONE of this is equivalent to the extra little cals you burn.
Ok so that explains the desire to eat a little more what about the cravings.
Blame it on the, hormones! It’s true, the change in hormones gets you to crave particular foods. So now you are bloated, hungry and cravings fatty foods.
It doesn’t have t be this way!
Seriously I have NOT had crazy PMS cravings in YEARS!!! I mean I do feel like an endless pit of hunger but I have ZERO complaints about that 😁
How to minimize bloating, cramps & cravings
Eat to NOURISH. [period] no pun intended on that one yall. That’s just it. Eat to nourish.
1. Clean up your diet.
- Eliminate refined flour, sugar, and processed foods.
- Cut out caffeine [ at least 1 week before day 1]
- Stop/REDUCE alcohol consumption
- DO have protein shakes (Shakeology!), eggs, and [NATURAL] nut butters, for breakfast.
- Eat evenly throughout the day 5-6 meats per day.
- Stop eating within three hours of bedtime.
- Cut out all dairy 2 weeks before day 1 and consider eliminating it all together.
- Increase fiber in your diet from vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, beans, and whole grains.
- Increase omega-3 fats : salmon, flaxseeds, omega-3 eggs and walnuts.
2. Take supplements.
I can give you a plethora of vitamins here. I ONLY recommend what I take/do personally.
- My ONLY daily multivitamin supplement is Shakeology. It has been for a little over 5 years now. I dink it EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.
3. Get moving.
Exercise is very important for balancing hormones. Aim for 30 minutes of exercise, 4 to 5 times a week.
5 Foods to Avoid for PMS Relief
- red meat
Foods to relive PMS
- oatmeal [ old fashion style NOT packaged w/sugar or flavoring]
- flaxseeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds
- natural nut butters
- raw nuts [ especially walnuts]
- bananas, blue berries, raspberries
- broccoli, brussels sprouts, kale, spinach